Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The thought behind the blog

I love to paint and draw, but without formal training or practicing regularly it has been hard to develop my own style.  Lately I've avoided painting because I've been afraid the piece won't turn out.  I know that the end result isn't the reason I paint.  I paint to express myself, to vent, to explore, to remind someone that I care about them. I follow a lot of art blogs and recently one artist commented that you don't hit your stride 'til your thousandth painting.  YOWZA!  A thousand paintings?  That seemed insane when I first read it.  But then I thought about it and the idea of that many pieces started to bring comfort.  If I can take each work for what it is and not feel this pressure for each one to be perfect, maybe I can enjoy painting again.  If I'm committing myself to create at least 1,000 paintings, then each one isn't going to be a masterpiece.  Maybe I can just enjoy the journey.  So that's what this blog is about: recording my journey through 1,000 paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment