Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Coasters for Mother's Day

For Mother's Day I decided to make my mom and Theo's biological grandma coasters with our pictures on them.  I found the idea on pinterestNaptime Decorator has so many great ideas!

I found tiles the right size for about $0.37 each at Lowe's.  I grabbed a bunch, plus some other sizes for future crafting fun.  I printed out a dozen or so pictures, not sure which would end up being the right size/look for the coasters so I wanted extra.  I think that cost $3-4.  The other materials I needed were sponge brush, mod podge, a clear protective coating - I used polyurethane, and some felt-y super slider things that I gorilla glued to the bottom of the coaster so it wouldn't hurt the furniture.  I had everything except the polyurethane and the sliders  - I borrowed the first and bought the second for about $5 at Lowe's. 

With all the materials gathered, I cut the pictures to size, mod podged them to the tiles, covered the images with mod podge (two layers, allowed to dry) and then the polyurethane.  When it was dry I attached the sliders and voila! 




1 comment:

  1. These were awesome! I might have you make some for me, sometime... old pictures from NIU & such. Plus, I really like that picture of me & Jesse at the bowling alley - one of my favorite of us (along with us with Pluto at Disney Land).

    ReplyDelete